Ideas for singles on Valentines Day
As a Matchmaker, it’s probably not a normal thing to say that I think Valentines Day is grossly commercialised. It also doesn’t take much searching to see how dating sites like to take advantage of it too.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for romance. But I think the gestures and gifts saved for that one day of the year, takes the thrill out of receiving them. If you are single and love Valentines Day, truth be told it can really suck. Especially when a work colleague receives a bunch of flowers so big, they require delivery by truck.
So if you fall into that ‘single and love Valentines Day‘ category and want to celebrate, here are a few ideas to make the most of it.
- Send some flowers or a hamper to a friend. Check out the lovely packs from The Happy Box http://www.thehappybox.com.au
- Buy some beautiful flowers for yourself and put them in your home.
- Go out to dinner with a bunch of your single friends. Toast to your single status and celebrate it.
- Have your family over and cook them something special. A family’s love is worth celebrating too.
- Hold a party and invite all of your single friends. Serve drinks and nibbles and share funny stories from past bad relationships.
- If you have a furry friend spend some quality time with them. Buy Rover or Fluffy a treat or a new toy and payback some of that unwavering love they give to you everyday of the year.
- Prepare a special day or evening for yourself. Enjoy some nice food, a glass or two of wine and do something you really enjoy like reading a good book/magazine or watching a great movie.
- If you are lucky enough to have a grandparent living close by, go and see them. Or if they don’t, send them a card and tell them how much they mean to you. I can guarantee this will not only make their day, but their entire year.
- If you enjoy cooking, why not bake some treats and hand them out to your work colleagues or friends. Everyone will appreciate the effort you have gone to.
- Love your past. Make a list of the top 5 or 10 experiences that have enriched your life. It may be a place you have been, goals you’ve accomplished, a person you have loved or the joy of a furry friend. Whatever it is, surround yourself with the thoughts and mementos of those things and appreciate that they came into your life.